Friday, January 28, 2011

Spike Your Juice? My adventure in home wine making...

So I was reading twitter, as I often do in my free time, and I came across an interesting product. I enjoy a spikey drink once in a while, so I purchased it! "Spike Your Juice" is a kit to make your own homemade campaign-like drink using bottled juice.

I hate most bottled juices, at least the ones I can get at the normal grocery (Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are about 40 mins away) so I made lemonade, breaking one of the rules of the product. The rules for juice selection are as follows:
  • minimum sugar content of 20g/serving
  • no refrigerated juices
  • no artificially sweetened juices
  • no unfiltered juices
I juiced about 10 lemons, poured the juice into a 1 gallon container (hence breaking the no unfiltered juices rule), then filled with water and lots of raw sugar.  Then I took one of the yeast packs out of the kit and poured it into the gallon of lemonade, put the airlock stopper in, and sat it on the counter for 2 days as directed.

Today I opened the bottle, and I could see the yeast had created this foamy substance on top of the lemonade, so I poured it through a fine strainer and gave it a taste...It was good, but not very alcoholly tasting. In the product's defense, I could let it ferment for a couple more days and it would get stronger, but I don't want to alter the flavor any further. If I had to guess it might have 4 percent alcohol in it, so less than a beer.

Since that turned out ok, I'm trying again on a bottle of Cran-pom juice my mother bought, and has since decided she doesn't want to drink (she switched from the full sugar version to the "diet" type). I'll let you know how it turns out!Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment