Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Recipe Review: Sambal Chicken Skewers

So I bought a grill recently. It's a tiny propane camping grill, but it is perfect considering the last two large grills we had died due to the massive wind storms we get here. This one is portable, so I can bring it inside during bad weather.

DivaMom subscribed to Bon Appetit Magazine. I really don't know why since neither of us have much time to cook (hence the lack of posts).  I'm not working much this summer so I have a bit of free time, and decided to try the Sambal Chicken Skewers recipe.


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar



  • 2 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger


  • 1/4 cup fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)





  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch–2-inch pieces

Special equipment

  • 8 bamboo skewers soaked in water at least 1 hour

Ingredient info

  • Hot chili paste is available at Asian markets and many supermarkets.

Preparation

  • Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Whisk brown sugar, vinegar, chili paste, fish sauce, Sriracha, and ginger in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Thread 4 or 5 chicken pieces onto each skewer. 
  • Transfer marinade to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until reduced by half (about 1 cup), 7–10 minutes.
  • Grill chicken, turning and basting often with reduced marinade, until cooked through, 8–10 minutes.

I made a few changes:

  1. I used bonless skinless chicken breast. 
  2. The recipe says to use the marinade to create the baste(I know WAY too much about food borne illness to attempt this). I created a seperate batch of marinade to reduce to make the basting sauce . 
  3. I used metal skewers instead of bamboo.

Result 

 

Verdict:

YUM!!!! This is slightly sweet, slightly spicy, and completely wonderful! It was pretty easy and quick to make. The most difficult part of this recipe was finding the Chili Paste. I ended up driving all over town looking for it, but couldn't find it near home so I drove about 30 miles to a store that I knew carried it.

I have no idea what sides I'm going to make with this, but this is so yummy it can stand alone! 

(link to the recipe : http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2013/07/sambal-chicken-skewers)

1 comment:

  1. I discussed this recipe with a friend of mine and she pointed out the sauce would be fantastic on shrimp too! Let me know how it turns out if you try it!

    ReplyDelete