Thursday, December 9, 2010

Review - Famous Dave's (Locations in 37 States)

I'm spoiled. My Godfather owns a BBQ joint in Detroit, and my father worked there when I was a child and learned all the secrets to great BBQ. I grew up eating the best BBQ ever, so I'm very critical of BBQ Ribs. Most places boil the meat before grilling it, making the meat "tender" or in my opinion SOGGY! Yuck! Famous Dave's is different.

Famous Dave's is your typical BBQ place. Lots of meat, lots of "southern" sides, and of course cornbread muffins. I decided I wanted ribs and didn't want to drive all the way to Detroit from Flint, so I stopped into Famous Dave's and ordered a slab of their Kansas City Ribs, Mac 'n' cheese, and 6 cornmeal muffins (DivaMom liked their cornmeal muffins).

I was leery at first of the ribs. Like I said, most places boil their ribs before grilling, but Famous Dave's didn't! these were tender without the soggy nature of boiled ribs (wet meat! if you've read previous entries of mine you'll know how I feel about wet meat). I've never been in their kitchen but I'm willing to bet they slow roasted/smoked these ribs over low heat for hours, giving the meat a tender texture. Then they finish the meat on the grill to give the outside an almost crispy texture, and to apply the sauce allowing it to cook on the ribs to an almost glaze. This method makes the ribs amazingly good, and well worth the trip and the price.

The Mac 'n' Cheese is special! It's your typical creamy style mac 'n' cheese, but Dave's kicks it up a notch! They add bits of jalapeno, and corn niblets! Two things I never would have added to mac 'n' cheese! The jalapeno gives it a little spice, accentuating the cheese, and the corn gives it a little sweetness so you can taste the flavor of the jalapeno. This isn't an overly spicy dish, but it very flavorful.

The meal also came with a corn muffin (in addition to the 6 I ordered) and corn on the cob. The corn muffins are sweet, almost like a cupcake, and the corn on the cob is just corn on the cob. Nothing special about that.

If you want ribs, Famous Dave's has the best restaurant ribs I've had (other than my Godfather's place), and the mac 'n' cheese is amazing too. Well worth the price for everything! You should definitely pay them a visit!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment