Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Review - Firkin & Fox (Burton, MI, member of the Firkin Pubs Nationwide)

Firkin &Fox is your typical English pub (or at least what I imagine an English pub to be) but with better lighting. Their menu has all of the typical English dishes such as Bangers and Mash, Shepard's Pie, and Fish and Chips, along with American favorites such as burgers, chicken strips, and ribs. On Tuesdays they have a special on their tacos.

Since I had never had the tacos, I figured I'd give them a try. There was nothing special about them...except the shell. It wasn't deep fried like I usually go for, it was your standard corn shell, but the texture was different. This was the lightest, thinnest, crispiest shell I've ever had. If the meat were seasoned a bit better, I'd order them all the time, but for the $0.49 special I can't complain.

I really went there for the Fish and Chips. I'm not a big fish eater, but once in a while I get an overwhelming craving for fish and chips, and where better to go than an English pub? When they arrived they were piping hot, and smelled incredible. I of course doused them in malt vinegar and squirted a generous amount of ketchup (not catsup!) on the plate. The batter was crispy, the fish was flaky, and there wasn't any hints of grease anywhere! Each bite was perfectly balanced between the smoothness of the fish, the tang of the vinegar, the sweetness of the ketchup and the crunch of the batter. I couldn't have asked for better fish. The Chips (fries) were fresh, hot, and almost had a creamy texture. The perfect fried potato!

I don't know about other Firkin Pubs, but I like Firkin & Fox. Maybe someday I'll be able to go to a real English pub in Jolly Old England and then I'll be able to give an accurate comparison.

Anyone wanna sponsor a trip? :)
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment