Monday, November 15, 2010

Review - Fandangles' (Flushing, MI)

DivaMom texted me and asked me to make reservations for us to go to Fandangles'. I had never heard of the place so of course I googled and found it http://www.fandanglesmi.com/ My only gripe about the website is that it doesn't allow for online reservations, but most places don't so I guess that's not a big deal. When I called I was greeted by a nice sounding man, he was able to reserve a table for us at 7 on a saturday with out a problem (it was about 1pm when I called). 


Driving there wasn't so bad, but the location was difficult to find, I actually passed it and had to circle back because the sign wasn't visible from the road (it was on a pretty major street too). It wasn't until I pulled into the parking lot that I finally saw the restaurant.  The parking lot was large, and I had no problems finding a space.


Once inside the decor reminded me of a set of a play. I'm not sure why, but it seemed phony, I kinda expected a camera crew to pop out and tell me I was on Punked or some old school Folgers commercial. It's a small space, maybe 10-15 tables, and if I had to guess it is family owned and run. The atmosphere was kind of strange in that it looked pretty casual inside, but the attude was that of a restaurant that would require a suit/dress to dine there. The wait staff was nice though.


I ordered the flank steak special with ginger/soy (I think she said soy) sauce, asparagus, and some sort of sweet potato quiche. DivaMom ordered the Caper Chicken (regular menu), asparagus and rice pilaf. Both meals came with salad, bread, and we ordered a bottle of wine.


The salad was fabulous! It was mixed greens with walnuts, dried cranberries, apples and pears and a very light pear vinegarette.  I don't like most salad dressings, but this vinegarette was so light it didn't over power the wonderful fruits and freshness of the salad greens. The bread was fair at best. It was hard, not hot and the butter was cold and hard to spread.  The flank steak was cooked medium (I prefer medium well or well) so I did have to send it back, but once it was cooked a little longer, it was wonderful. My biggest consern was the sauce being too sweet or too salty, it was bordering on too sweet, but didn't quite get there. The asparagus balanced the sweetness nicely. I hate sweet potatoes so I gave the slice of quiche to DivaMom and she liked it. DivaMom enjoyed her chicken and Rice Pilaf, but since she hates asparagus she gave that to me. The asparagus was cooked well, but not to the point of being mush, it still had a nice snap to it. Yum!


 After all that we HAD to have dessert! DivaMom and I shared the chocolate volcano. It was a chocolate cake with warm chocolate fudgey stuff in the middle, served in a mug with vanilla ice cream. It was amazing and the coffee was great too! We brought home a slice of the lemon cake and a slice of the flourless chocolate torte. The lemon cake tasted more like coconut cake to me, but I like coconut so that was fine. The Flourless torte is rich! so much so that I've only been able to eat a bite a day! It's very tasty though!



Overall, I liked Fandangles. It's a bit pricy, so not a weekly kind of place, but it's nice for a treat once in a while (or if you can get someone else to pay)!

No comments:

Post a Comment