Monday, November 22, 2010

Review - Red Robin (Nationwide)

I've been thinking about a bacon bleu cheese burger for days, so I finally broke down and went to Red Robin and got one, and some other stuff.

I don't usually go to Red Robin. I prefer the hole in the wall kind of burger joints, but today I was out running errands and there was a Red Robin along the way. I like Red Robin just fine, I don't avoid the place, but it's usually not my first thought when it comes to eating out. There are usually a ton of kids, and it's really loud, and the decor is busy, and I get a little agitated there. But I got take out so it wasn't so bad.

I ordered the Gourmet Cheeseburger which comes with a laundry list of items. On mine I selected bleu cheese, bacon, lettuce, pickles, red onions, and yellow mustard. Of course the burger came with a heap of fries (when you eat in the restaurant the fries are bottomless). And I also ordered a Freckled Lemonade (Strawberry Lemonade) and a chocolate cupcake! I drank the Freckled Lemonade while I was there and they were kind enough to top off my to go cup before I left.

I got the food home (about 1/2 hour drive), and it was packaged in cardboard boxes. I prefer this method to styrofoam not only because the cardboard is biodegradable, but because the bun and fries don't get soggy due to condensation, double win! The food was still hot, and the burger was amazing! I recently discovered that I like bleu cheese and really can't get enough of it! The sharpness of the cheese the saltiness of the bacon, the savory sweetness of the onion and the sour of the pickle all came together and sang in perfect harmony! Each bite had a little bit of every flavor, and by the end of the burger I was almost sad to see it end! Red Robin is one of the few establishments that has steak fries that are perfectly crispy! Most places under cook the steak fries, but not Red Robin! The outsides are nice and crisp, while the insides are almost buttery smooth. These fries need only a dash of salt to draw out the flavor of the potato, no ketchup needed! In the take out container there were a mountain of fries. I have enough to snack on through the evening.

The Freckled Lemonade is a favorite of mine, my only desire with it is that instead of using Minute Maid Lemonade, that they use fresh squeezed, but I guess with the quantity of lemonade they sell, that would be unreasonable.

New to the menu (at least new since the last time I'd been to RR) are cupcakes! They aren't even listed on the website yet. I ordered a chocolate cupcake and it was fantastic! Lots of places make chocolate cakes and cupcakes that are dry, but not Red Robin. The cake was so moist I thought it was going to drip! The cake was soft, and it practically melted in my mouth. I don't like frosting, but the chocolate frosting didn't taste like a mouthful of brown colored sugar, it actually tasted like real chocolate fudge!

The food at Red Robin is excellent, and if you have kids it's kid friendly. If you can tolerate the chaos of the restaurant, it's worth the trip. Otherwise get a takeout, it's just as good as eating there, but without the insanity!
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment: