Monday, November 22, 2010

Review - Senior Lucky's (Davison, MI)

I'm always in search of good Mexican food, so when DivaMom told me about Senior Lucky's I was skeptical. But when she said that the parking lot was packed, I saw a glimmer of hope. I was not disappointed.

The building looks like it use to be a Big Boy. But when I got out of the car I could already smell the food, and it smelled good! Walking in, it's not spectacular. There is a full bar, and some TVs, a couple video games, and of course tables and booths. We took our seat and looked a the menu. Everything sounded good! They have some American favorites like Buffalo wings in addition to their Mexican fare.

When Melissa, our server, came to take our drink orders she brought chips and salsa. Both were fresh and tasted wonderful! Melissa was handling a large table (about 10 people) as well as our table (2 people) but never made it seem like she was too busy to answer our questions or attend to our needs.

I ordered a specialty margarita (rocks, no salt), Fried Corn Shell Tacos (ground beef), and 2 chicken flautas. The Tacos came with a side of rice and beans as well as a choice of soup or salad. I chose Chili for my soup. DivaMom ordered 1 Golden Taco (fried flour shell, ground beef), and 2 shredded beef flautas.

The margarita was perfect. It had 2 types of tequila, as well as cointreau. It was mixed well so that I didn't get a mouthful of mixer or a mouthful of tequila right off the bat. Bonus points to Melissa for remembering no salt amidst the chaos of the table next to us. DivaMom and I had the chili and it was quite good. It was a little thicker than what we like, but it had very good flavor, the meat was well seasoned and tender, there were just the right number of beans, and the tomato base was flavorful. The tacos I ordered were fantastic! The shell could have been fried a little longer (maybe another 30 seconds), but the tortilla was fresh, the ground beef was seasoned perfectly, the lettuce and tomatoes were fresh and firm, and the cheese actually tasted like cheese (unlike some places where the cheese has no flavor, or worse tastes like mold). The chicken flautas were nice and crispy on the outside, the chicken was also well seasoned (not at all gamey), and they were covered in a slightly spicy cheese sauce. YUM! The rice and beans were fantastic as well. DivaMom enjoyed her Golden Taco and flautas as much as I enjoyed my meal.

We couldn't leave without trying their apple empanada, and we were not disappointed! Imagine a burrito filled with fresh apples, and a light Cinnamon caramel sauce, slightly deep fried to crisp up the tortilla, then topped with more light Cinnamon caramel sauce and french vanilla ice cream! I could have died a happy girl right then!

I will be returning to Senior Lucky's, but really I feel like I'm the lucky one! If you are in Davison, MI, or the surrounding areas, go to Senior Lucky's and ask for Melissa! You won't be disappointed!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment